Wednesday, May 30, 2007

the people's square

I'm still here everyone! Sorry I haven't been updated for few days, here's a rundown of what's been happening here.

Friday, Mark and I took the metro down to the People's Square, which is a big beautiful park about 4 stops away from SJTU. I've been surprised by how well kept everything is here - lots of beautiful flora, and clean cut.

Adjacent to the People's Square is the Shanghai Urban Planning Center, which we visited the next day with our whole group. Inside they had a miniature model of the sprawling metropolis, including future buildings. Shanghai is host to the World Exhibition in 2010, so some major projects are underweigh, inluding plans for 10 new subway lines in the next 3 years - that's amazing. Tonight I met one of the French architects working for the city planning commission.

Here's a picture of a Tiger's foot that one of the street vendors around People's Square was selling. Aren't those endangered species or something?

Below is a picture of Nanjing Rd., which is the largest commercial street in China. I encountered the old language barrier while trying to buy some cool pinball-looking candy in one of the shops. I casually turned to the girl next to me and not thinking she spoke any English said "I don't know what she's (the worker's) saying" Surprisingly, Mini :-) had been a tour guide at the 3 gorges? dam (the largest in the world, in central china), so she knew English and we struck up a conversation and browsed through some shops together.



On Saturday, after the Urban Planning Center, we visited the Bund which is one of the first parts of the modern Shanghai. It is a set of western architecture style builidings circa 1900 built on the banks of the Huang Pu River. The Bank of China was housed in the Bund, as well as the customs house for all the shipping (Shanghai is now the world's largest port).

Today Stan and I took a trip to Wal-Mart China, and I went to a Brazillian jazz club with my new friend Ruben. More on that in the next post...it's time for bed.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Matushka Myra said...

I love being the first to respond to your posts! That's because I'm always checking for updates...guess you're not surprised by that, though. G loved the little pic of the Opel Speedster. He tells me that you just don't see those in the US. Haven't seen many tiger claws for sale 'round here either. Daddy was just talking about the Three Gorges Dam, leave it to him to know that it was the world's largest, too. He wants to see it along with Hoover Dam someday. Dad also wants to know if the parking lot in the Wal-Mart there is as crazy as it is here. :) moxoxom

jayenoh said...

I thought you and dad went to the hoover dam together! haha!