Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Big Blue

First of all, I would like to give a shout out to my favorite sister in the world - AllyOOOOO. Congrats on two goals last night! Lebo = Pwnd.


G (original and sequel) - you're cool too :-).


Stan and I wanted to take a trip to Walmart to see what the king of low prices could do for us in China. This was the biggest Walmart I've ever seen - it was two floors with the bottom floor completely devoted to food, although it could serve dual purpose as the pet section as well.

They offered just about any animal body part you could ask for, with lots of delicacies like chickens' feet and eel. Next time we go back I'm going to buy a whole dried chicken for a dollar and play a prank on someone (rubber chicken? pssh). Same story with the food here as with everywhere else - it was really cheap, but not much cheaper than the convenience stores around here. It was kind of funny to go to the classy, dressed up imported foods section and see brands items like Barila, Heinz, and lots of no-name US ones. Pop Secret popcorn was $1 a bag (that seems like a lot to me)! I made up for the overpriced popcorn by buying some $.15 jars of jelly. All the other food was Chinese (I was hoping for some Kraft mac & cheese).


Upstairs I stocked up on some essentials like facewash and ping pong paddles. The electronics section was of interest because I could see some fixed prices, without having to worry if a vendor was ripping me off. The accessories were the best deals at Wal Mart, with Monster cables being only about $10 vs $100 at Best Buy (but $20 on ebay). Unfortunately I don't think I'll be shipping anything back home to sell on ebay, unless I can get a good deal on shipping food ;-) Wal Mart didn't even bother to have a movie DVD section (no one would buy them here), and new music CDs were about $5


Overall, I got 5 bags of stuff for about $30. Wal Mart has done a nice job setting up shop in China - they already have 85 stores.

Classes are going pretty well. The professors are on vacation too - so they take it a little easier on us than at home, but I still have a lot of work to do.

The Chinese Stock market dropped 6.5% today because trading commission taxes were tripled. (not sure how objective this source is)

Saturday we're taking a trip to some ancient temples from the 1200s outside the city - so stay tuned, and don't forget to check out my pictures !

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to forward this most recent blog posting to Melanie, so she gets fired up about Walmart. The pictures are fun, as are the stories. Love you.

Matushka Myra said...

What are you holding? Sounds like they've really rolled back their prices over there. Do you see those little yellow smileys everywhere, too? Miss you! Yo Momma

Anonymous said...

Hi John!
Your mom shared your blog with me so I could get a chance to see how your adventure is going. I am fascinated with the extent of your adventures and what you are experiencing. You are fortunate young man!
YOur narratives and photos are certainly informational and entertaining! Nice work!
Best of luck. Remember to Work hard, Learn a lot, and to make some magic in China!
Ms. Sulkowski

alysonb said...

Hi Johnny,
I am enjoying reading about your trip to China. G reminds me to read it when I see him at school. He misses you! Have a great time! Ms. B